Friday, July 17, 2009

Story

So the other day I once more became excited about a novel I started two years ago, and decided to work on the prologue. My husband, (insert big smile here), gave me confidance to continue working on it. I've decided to post some of what I wrote here, just because I want to share it so far.

Song of Evéa

Evéa-
my home land
thy forest grow greener
thy rivers run longer
thy richness greater
for in the earth is our heart.
Thy safety, thy peace live on.

There were times when this song would lift my heart, in hope. But now as men sing this song, I only feel the decay more deeply. My trees once cut into homes now are chopped and my fields, that bore up the nation are burnt in war. I am told this is the fate of all countries. Either a land must fight against its friends, or it must feel itself torn from within. I thought this saying was true for other lands but not for me.
That was when the treading I felt most deeply were farms, children, and roads. Those are years that my waters ran clean and my earth seemed to ring with joy. Evéa has always been a place of peace from other wars of man. My wall like mountains and narrow touch of the sea has protected my people form the throbbing of other nations. I thought the rich forests, rivers, and plains would have protected the land from within but that is not how men get peace.
This war began and grew as a cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment